String Shopping Bag

In order to reduce the amount of plastic shopping bags I have around the house I like to use something a bit more eco-friendly.  I have make a shopping bag using the large and rectangle looms.

011  012

013

Very reminiscent of the ones we used to have in the 1970’s only this one does not seem to stretch! (yet!)

I used a mix of undyed hemp, wool and mohair wrapping 3 strands at a time and went round twice.  I used two large for the sides and attached a rectangle to each at the top to give a bit of depth.  The handles are two rectangles sown up lengthways.  The rectangles are slightly longer than the square so took a bit of piecing together (17 into 15), but easy enough and gives quite a nice fluted shape to the top.  The only place it looks like it is stretching is where the rectangle and the square meet along the top, but I think that is because the edge loops are large than the ones in the body.

It is a bit messy as my inital thought was to line it with calico, but the picture above has 3kgs of shopping in it and hasn’t stretched much at all, so I am going to use it for a few weeks and if by January it’s dragging in puddles I will re-design!  The back of this I actually made daisy patterned, but it has left it far too holey – would definitly need to be lined.

I’m going to make another one, paying a bit more attention to detail and see how much is has cost me – I  think easily under a tenner.  I also have some thicker yarn I might use, see how that turns out.

First Attempt!

Not 100% happy, but not bad for a first attempt.

I have made a double sided cushion cover using the large loom.  The fluffy side is made using 100g of Snazzy colour Royal SY041 supplied by Texere (www.texere.co.uk) and the back is 100g  Lister Bamboo Navy 774 out of my stash so not sure where this came from and intersected with  paradise chenille in Salmon also by Texere

Now, where did I go wrong: I have a habit when sewing and knitting of working too loose and I think this is what I have done here.  Next time I will pull my knots tighter, then they will lie more evenly.  I also changed what I was making half way through, and back again, I was going the cross knot, then I decided I would try a daisy but realised that I hadn’t left enough rows, so went back to leaving it as just crosses.  This has ended up with it being a bit of a mess on the back and with lots of joins – but I think this proves that it doesn’t matter too much because that is all hidden at the back.  I think also I should have used a thicker knotting yarn – maybe the same as I did the wrapping in.  I have put this round a black cushion so the effect is ok – but not perfect..

But it is very easy to pickup, I had a couple of attempts at first on the small loom to just understand what was what but after a few wraps and knots I feel I have mastered it!  A bit of tweaking, but I think I know where I have gone wrong, so eager to make something else

cushions -1st attempt 001                        cushions -1st attempt 004

Next project is going to be a ‘string’ shopping bag.